Hair loss is called alopecia. Men and women both can have hair loss in their life. If you have hair loss, it can be because of stress.
We will discuss how stress can affect your hair health and whether its effects are permanent. Also, what steps you may take to boost your hair growth.
Stress-related Hair Loss
All hair loss causes are not linked to stress. There are 3 kinds of hair loss connected with high-stress levels:
Telogen effluvium (TE) happens when the number of hair follicles that are building your hair change. If this change takes place during your hair’s telogen or resting stage, it can cause shedding.
You may not see thinning entirely on the head, but in small patches, particularly towards the centre of your scalp. People affected by TE often do not lose all of their hair.
Alopecia areata (AA) is an autoimmune condition. It occurs when your immune system attacks your hair follicles. This can be stimulated by stress and may result in hair loss.
You can lose your hair in round patches on your scalp or the entire scalp. In a severe kind of alopecia areata known as alopecia universalis, hair loss occurs on your whole body.
Although there is no cure for alopecia areata, few prescription medications can help if you have over 50% hair loss.
Trichotillomania is like a hair-pulling disorder. You may feel an urge to pull out hair from your scalp or other areas of your body. It is regarded as an impulse control disorder.
You can find that this occurs without much thought, such as when you are bored or distracted. Still, it can be intentional and used to take out stress or different negative emotions.
What can you do about Stress-related Hair Loss?
There are specific steps that you may take to decrease hair loss and promote new growth.
Nutrition and Diet
Consuming a balanced diet is required for your body and your hair.
Although it is significant to involve all essential vitamins in a healthy diet, few primarily contribute to hair growth:
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is necessary for developing your collagen; it is the skin’s linked tissue that is found in hair follicles.
- Vitamin B: This complex of various vitamins promotes a healthy metabolism, along with healthy hair and skin.
- Vitamin E: This vitamin has antioxidants, which contribute to a healthy scalp.
If an adequate amount of these nutrients are not present in your diet, consult your doctor about having supplements. Remember to keep yourself hydrated for the growth of healthy hair.
You can learn to control your stress level. It can help in decreasing further hair loss. You can take different stress-management practices before you find out which one works best for you. Some of them include:
- Exercise: Exercise is a fantastic method to remove stress. Take a regular walk, join dance class, or do some yard work.
- Hobbies: Busy yourself with things that you enjoy doing. It can be an excellent way to combat stress.
- Writing: Try to take a few minutes each day to write about your feelings and the cause of your stress. Review your regular activities that trigger your stress. It can help you find methods of coping with them.
- Breathing and meditation: Many think that breathing exercises and meditation as beneficial methods to decrease stress. It keeps you concentrated in the present.
Are you not seeing any Improvement?
It may be that your hair loss is not related to stress. Some other factors or conditions can cause hair loss.
Other reasons for your hair loss can involve:
- Illness or a recent surgery
- Medications, like antidepressants or some blood thinners
- Hormonal changes, such as menopause or childbirth
- Nutritional deficiency, such as a lack of iron or protein
If you have stress related to your hair loss, then your hair follicles are not permanently damaged. So, control your stress and take care of your health. This can result in your hair coming back to a daily rate of growth.
If over the counter medications (OTC) do not work or do not see any changes, consult your hair doctor. They can determine the cause of your hair loss and advise you on steps to take. If hair regrowth is possible, they may help provide the best hair treatment plan for your symptoms.